Wednesday 8 May 2013

Unitarian and Heathen

It took me a while to take notice of Heathenry. I had stayed away from Asatru because from the outside there just seemed to be too much of an association with white-supremacy and that was something I wanted to stay well away from.
There is one particular aspect of Heathenry in its myriad forms that I want to talk about today because it has the potential to be either something lovely or something ugly: the Kindred group.

Unlike a good proportion of the modern pagan religions, Heathenry is not a way of life that it's members believe you can lead in isolation. More than any other form of modern pagan belief Heathenry is a religion of belonging. The kindred is a major focus of Heathenry.

The Kindred is a big part of Heathen life. Not all Heathens follow a reconstructionist path of course, but a great many do, and it is not just about researching ancient religious festivals and gods, but learning an entire outlook on life and ones place in the world. This revolves around ones kindred. Where the Kindred group would have once been of family and extended relations it is now most often, by necessity, made up of like-minded others. The aim is not to form a casual social group, but a family; a group bound together by mutual loyalty and support. This is, I think, a beautiful thing, and chance to create community and bonds of friendship.

But then there is the potential for the ugly to creep in. Because an inner-circle creates an outer-circle. One-of-us creates not-one-of-us. In ancient times I can see how this occurred, can see why it was necessary or even desirable. The world was a tough place and people were aggressive and ferocious by todays standards. But that was then. This is now.

I admire the reconstuctionist root and it's one I favour myself. But most reconstructionists will tell you that they have no desire to recreate with absoluteness the lives and beliefs of their forebears. We have changed a whole lot culturally since our pagan past and most people would agree that there are many things where we don't want to pick up where the ancients left off. There's evidence of human sacrifice in our pagan past but nobody is suggesting we start that again! I'm being obvious of course, but you get my point. There are somethings that were a part of ancient Heathen practise that our modern sensibilities know instantly we want no part of. We can research and try to understand how such practises came about and there purpose and maybe we can discern a more appropriate way to express the same intent in our 21st century culture.

The Kindred is I think one of those things. Which is not to say I think we need something different to 
replace the Kindred, but that the concept of the Kindred must be approached from a modern veiw point. Some Kindreds do just this. Others don't.
An us-and-them mentally is one I think is best left in the past. It comes to us humans all to easily and it's rare for any good to come of it ultimately.

It was something of a surprise to me to find that modern Kindred mentally that I was seeking not with a Heathen Kindred, but with a group of Unitarians!

Because I think Heathenry has got something there saying that we are best off in a community. A network of support is something we all need, and I was after inclusive not exclusive. I sat in the Unitarian chapel a few weeks ago trying to put my finger on what precisely united these people. It certainly wasn't belief because nobody was believing just the same thing as their neighbour. So what was it?
Community.

What unites them is friendship, and support and acceptance. But the diversity of belief means there is no us-and-them mentality. These people grow together and help each other out along the way. And somehow, despite the differences in belief, they find a way to worship together too. This is something I find inspiring.
This is something I find worth emulating and reaching towards. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment