Thursday 30 May 2013

Connecting with the land - Mapping

Getting a sense of the Spirit of Place is something to do layer by layer. I shan't insult your intelligence by writing a long winded post that tells you to go spend time in a place. You've already been doing that.

One of the most helpful things I found when building up my feel for a place was mapping

By which I mean drawing my own maps. Not just the one, but a fair few, with different aims. Here is a list of some of the map exercises I set myself that I found gave more depth when trying to sense my home town.

1. My very first map I made was of places of importance, places that felt special to me, that made me take notice. Don't worry too much about being accurate with scale. Rather than label these places on my map according to what they might be called in reality, I named these places for how they made me feel and why they were important.
Give it a go! Maybe some places you can name easily, where as others will have you pondering for ages. There's no need to rush.


2. The second map I made I decided to look at the physical area of the immediately local land. Where are the rivers? The flood plain? Where are the forest, or beaches or fens? Where are the valleys and the high points?
When you are next out walking around, can you remember any of these details and orientate yourself within the physicality of the land? Stop at given points in your day and see if these physical pointers in the landscape can tell you which way is east. You need to be familiar with the land to build up a sense of it.

3. One of my favourite maps to draw was my map of my town in the past. You'll need to do a bit of research for this map! Use what ever resources you can get hold of. I spent hours looking at local history books O.S maps and archaeological reports at the local library, then I threw myself in to marking locations that seemed relevant to me. Are there any ancient church yards? How about barrows? Has there been an ancient horse sacrifice discovered? Ancient wells? Find those places that were important once upon a time. Is there any continuity? What do the places look and feel like today? Rather than look at each site on this map independently, look at the as a whole. See if there is anything significant to their placing, is there anything significant in the physical landscape going on too (a river confluence for example)? Consider why people in times distance chose this particular place for a barrow, or an iron-smelting site. And never immediately disregard anything as unimportant - for example, even metal working had its religious connotations in the British iron-age.
For me this was by far this richest map I drew. There is something I personally find incredibly moving, and thus a source of connection, about discovering the people this land knew such a very long time ago. 

4. The last map I want to mention was my "homeland map". For this I spent more time considering than I actually did drawing. I wanted to consider the wider area that I inhabit. Where does it wtop feeling like home? This was as much about what was in my heart as what was in the land. For me I found it was basically the counties of Norfolk and most of Suffolk, and a large part of Cambridgeshire. This is where I aligned myself with. Once that was decided I repeated #2 and #3 again but on my new, larger scale, and considered my 'homeland' as a whole.

Happy mapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment